Monday, June 05, 2006

Illustration Friday: Portrait


I've never really been much of one for doing portraits, particularly when it comes to self portraits. For some reason I always tend to lose interest in drawing myself halfway through the process and as a result end up with either unfinished ones or ones that I'm just overall not happy with. I don't know if I'll have time to do anything else for this weeks Illustration Friday topic, various projects have kept me rather busy over the last couple of weeks, but I thought I'd post a self portrait I did a couple of years ago. I'm not completely happy with it, but there are still a small few areas of it I like.



The other is also an older image. I'd done it one summer day while the kids were outside playing. Looking back there's alot on it that I'd prefer were different, but then again, looking back on most of my images I can see alot on them that I hate. Ah well, the missus still likes it. I wonder how many others feel the same way when looking at older images of theirs.



3 Comments:

Blogger valerie walsh said...

You should feel really great about these drawings because you are very talented!
I really love the bottom one it has such a great feel and texture to it and it evokes times past!
Truly bautiful!
I know what you're saying it's hard to look at your art with out a critical eye. It's easier for me to be less critical if time has passed and I'm not so freshly invested in the art.

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like the way you did your portrait. very nice :)

1:14 AM  
Blogger Fulton Beal said...

reggie, erika - thanks :)

valgalart - Alot of times I find myself to be just the opposite, the longer the timeframe, the more things I see 'off' in the drawing. I think there's a constant learning process involved, and to see things that given a second go at you could do better can actually be beneficial at times. That being said, its all too easy for me to fall into a mindset of seeing the older stuff, knowing I could do better given another go at it, and thus not wanting much to do with the said work. *Shrug*, I guess thats life :) Thanks for the comment

jamie - thanks jamie, yeah it was all done free hand. My kids were playing, and the youngest decided to hop into the wagon and lose himself in his own world. I thought it was rather cute, and seeing as I had the sketchbook with me at the time, I decided to give a go at sketching him out.

Looking back, I think part of the frustration I have with that particular image was that it was more a sketch that just happened to get finishing touches. To me, the figure is stiff and lacking in the overall livelyness that was actually going on. The narrative that should have been told just isn't coming across for me. To add further, I feel that the proportions are all off from what they should be. I'm not saying its a horrible picture, its more that I know I could do better. That being said, at least it has some of the "cute factor", which can always help. Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

1:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counters