Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Illustration Friday: "Wisdom"

Its amazing to note how many places wisdom can be garnered if your willing to soak it in. A good book, the news, even potentially the internet are all obvious choices, but there are so many other places where wisdom is sitting on her doorstep with a tall glass of lemonade, an open door, and a giant welcome mat ready to take in all who dare embark for the visit. Yet all too often we seem oblivious to her invitations, and we don't realize the wisdom we've soaked in until years later. Such was the case with my grandparents. Most every Sunday we'd travel to visit, and I'd sit with my 'gampie' and look at all the pictures while he read the comics section to me. There were many other wonderful moments shared on those weekend afternoons, but for that brief moment, it was a treasure trove of joy and knowledge to me. Its a tradition I strive to keep with my own children, to share even a few minutes to read to them, no matter how small it may seem. Hopefully one day they may share similar sentiments as I.


We sat with the paper
And read through the capers
Of Opus, Calvin or Brown
And gaze at the fixtures
Containing the pictures
That bore to themselves wisdoms crown

7 Comments:

Blogger carla said...

Oh, how nice! What a sweet memory, and such a lovely illustration! I like the use of the gey tones; it's a nice contrast to the cartoon look of big-eyed faces...makes it almost like a photograph. I like this a lot...

11:56 AM  
Blogger JacqueLynn said...

Wonderful illo and idea!

2:41 AM  
Blogger Grangry said...

This is just excellent. As a grandparent, I know just what this means! Great drawing too.

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this...especially the big eyes on the little guy.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Drazen said...

lovely piece. you really caught some wonderful expressions there.

4:41 AM  
Blogger paige said...

You are absolutely right! And I am absolutely sure your children will look back fondly on these same kind of moments with you.

You reminded me of my Gramps. He's super smart and has added words on just about every page of his HUGE crossword dictionary. It's amazing! You can open any page and see numerous words added. As well, I love to read the newspaper after grandpa has finished with it. He still scribbles out his subjective views next to the articles. Often obscenities, like "bastards"! There's a certain comfort in knowing who and what Grandpa disapproves. It's also funny.

3:15 AM  
Blogger Fulton Beal said...

Thanks everyone for the wonderful comments, and thanks to whoever it was who thought I needed a bunch of spam comments too, hehe. Aren't grandparents wonderful?

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counters