Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Illustration Friday: "Simple"


I often wonder just how many times something thats truly basic gets overworked, overthought and more than likely overanalyzed, all in the effort to make it "better". Shaving companies are doing it nowadays, a simple razor has now been modified to have far more than enough blades to adequately evict the facial hair from the leathered skin of any man, and if you really want, they can even emit a low electronic pulse, possibly in the attempt to give electroshock treatment to said hair follicles. Evidently those hairs must have some serious issues that need to be dealt with. Companies aren't the only ones who do this though, we all make things far more complex than they need to be on a daily basis, at least I know I do.


For this weeks Illustration Friday topic, the first thing that came to mind was the ever wise sleuth, Sir Holmes himself, always quick to remind us that "Its Elementary dear Watson." Ok, so we're not all named Watson, and we're not all trying to solve murders either, but I think the phrase works fairly well in other areas also.

With a BANG! and a shout
The lights all went out
Jewelry stolen, men killed
For hatred or money
Whodunit now honey?
Ring up the man wisdom willed

That bloke with a pipe
Grasps clues all the night
And peices the puzzle together
The butler or maid?
Some goon that they paid?
He'll solve it, for there is none better

Forsooth what a win
The culprit his kin
How did he figure it out?
For try as I may
My heads in dismay
Simple? Ah me I have doubt

9 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

beautiful line quality!! Love the idea and the character too!! Very nice work!

6:46 PM  
Blogger Amy Zaleski said...

This is great! What a neat take on the subject! Boy, I've had those thoughts about the razors - it makes me laugh at how absurd it is. Always looking for new ways to market the same old junk, they are. Anway, I enjoyed this contribution. Looking forward to seeing more!

5:41 AM  
Blogger CRISTOSOVA said...

I can totally see this complaint coming from a Mainer ;)
Fun drawing! From afar I mistook the hat for a turtle and thought that was likewise cool. Good linework!

6:56 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Great lines... love your style! I cracked up over the razor thing... I've often noticed that whenever companies want to market simple products to children or men they'll call the product "extreme", or actually "X-treme". "X-treme razors, deodorant, sports, golfballs, fruit drinks, etc....

2:18 PM  
Blogger Mike Thompson said...

WILD STYLE!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Fulton Beal said...

Thanks for the comments guys!

cristosova What do you mean 'coming from a Mainer'? Don't make me break my lobstah on your britches! Of course I'll have to add a few things to it first to make it preform better, but once I do, watch out. ;P

5:16 PM  
Blogger CRISTOSOVA said...

Lol, sorry, I was just thinking how unpolite I must have sounded. Anyone who knows me IRL knows I am a total fan of Maine and one of the reasons is, that most Mainers I met seemed pretty down to earth, not too crazy about all that hypermodern fuzz, etc.
Now you can break any lobster you want over my head for stereotyping!

6:55 PM  
Blogger Fulton Beal said...

Hey man, no hard feelings at all, toss 'er up to sarcasm. Growing up here in the "aren't you a part of Canada?", I know full well the good natured, down to earthness most of us portray, and as such, I find it humorous at times to fake hostility at the mere mention of Maine sometimes. Problem with that though, is I often forget that others don't live inside my head and therefore I'm not always clear. Long story short, or short story long if you will, don't worry about it :)

11:12 PM  
Blogger CRISTOSOVA said...

No, no, I think I got it the right way, but than "I often forget that others don't live inside my head and therefore I'm not always clear" happened to me as well...
and ah, you name(d) it.
Blogcommunication that goes beyond "Cute, wonderful!" is harder than one would think.
:)

5:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Counters